Monday, September 12, 2011

What a mess!


Talk about the weather. 


Last year a series of natural disasters was responsible of a lot of chaos in my country, Guatemala. It all began with rainy days, a volcano eruption, and ended with many people affected. Rainy days affected families, especially the low-class ones, and affected the whole country´s way of working. People were evacuated from their houses, and taken to shelters, were they received attention, and the basic things to live. After several rainy days, the biggest of all the disasters occurred, Pacaya volcano erupted, and it caused a large and gray cloud in the sky, it left too, many traces of ashes on houses, cars, and people. Even though, it was only ashes, this event was the one who destroyed and affected almost everything involved. People, who lived near the volcano, were the most affected. Big volcano rocks fell on their houses, sweeping them, and even burning them.  Houses, cars, streets and drains were ruined by all the volcano sand, and ashes.  It was unbelievable, to think that this was happening, and even harder to think of all the people who had nowhere to go because they had lost everything. Many of us couldn’t go out of our houses, because everything was covered with sand. In my case, the condominium where I live, was full of ashes, every single street, car, yard, everything. It seemed pretty difficult to clean it up, and then I saw all the gardeners trying to clean all the sand with shovels and brooms. I felt really bad for them, and went to help them; here I noticed that what seemed pretty difficult actually was difficult. I helped them clean, and during three hours, I cleaned without stopping, until we finally got the place almost clean.  By order of government, school was cancelled, for about 3 days mandatory, and optionally for longer. My school was cancelled for a whole week, until everything was under control, and school was clean. It took them a lot of time to clean it up, because all the roofs were full of sand, the football field was black, every single thing around us, was black. The week without school was really boring, because we had homework, and we couldn’t go out, because it was impossible to be in the streets. So I stayed the whole week at home, waiting for news, and watching the news. The night before the volcano erupted, I was at a friend´s house, with a lot of other friends.  This night, happened to be the rainiest one. We all had to stay there until the next day, because driving was extremely dangerous, and almost impossible. I actually had a lot of fun at my friend´s house, but at the same time, we were all worried, because of the situation. When everything returned to normal, and how it used to be, it was still really difficult to move on. Lots of things were ruined, specially, for people who had things not covered by a roof.  Streets and roofs, were still full of ashes, even weeks after. My mom, my sister and I, wanted to help people, because we saw in the news, how the whole country was. We decided to go to an orphanage, and we helped them clean the whole place, by removed all the volcanic sand. After I did this, I could actually feel satisfied with my work. I wanted to keep on doing this, so I continued helping people affected by this. Maybe I wasn’t helping them in a direct way, but I tried to send things, food, clothes, every time I could. Days after, I began to think about what had happened. And I realized, that if I had been affected, having a house, a car, and a place where to stay, how would other people, who don’t have anything of these, be in that moment. Since that day, I began to appreciate more and more, every single thing I have, and I learned to help, and to give. For many, this might have been a catastrophe, but for me, it was a catastrophe and a life learning lesson. Because it inspired me to help, and showed me to care about the people who surround me and lives with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment